Hey guys,

I'm 17 and I've had a fear of choking for almost a year now. Actually, I've had it once before. It all began when I choked once on something I was eating when I was about 12. After that I went about a year without eating much at all; mushed bananas and the breaded outsides of chicken nuggets. Delicious, I know. I lost a ton of weight, and was in general having a tough time with my fear. I was so afraid that anything I would put in my mouth would cause me to choke, so I found myself just avoiding food all together. Amazingly (and fortunately!), my phobia went away on its own, and by the time I was 13 I was eating normally again. However my intense fear of choking came back this past year while I was eating dinner. I had a complete panic attack and thought I was dying. Since then I've been back to eating mush and getting crazy anxious every time I have to eat. I also have started to get anxious around small things like coins or toothpicks, thinking that I might swallow them subconsciously. I know this fear is completely irrational, but I'm having a hard time dealing with it on my own. I'd really appreciate it if anyone had any similar stories to share with me, or just some advice about dealing with anxiety in general.

Thanks so much
Teenage Phobia